Posts Tagged ‘pilates exercise’
If you are thinking of taking up Pilates as your regular exercise program, investing in some good Pilates equipment is a great idea. Though a lot of Pilates exercises can be done with no equipment, there are some important ones that cannot be done without Pilates equipment. Here’s a list of the most important Pilates equipment you may need:
a.) The Pilates Reformer: This is the most well- known of Pilates equipment. It comes with a sliding carriage. Spring tension and straps for the hands and feet are used for the exercises. This is comparatively a cheap equipment that is perfect for home use.
b.) The Pilates Wunda Chair: This is one equipment you should have in your home if you are serious about Pilates. A range of challenging and demanding exercises can be done on this. Your coordination, efficiency and fluidity in using your body can be developed with this equipment.
c.) The Pilates Cadillac: This equipment was first brought out for use by people who were being rehabilitated physically. Even today, it is in wide use for facilitating more flow and movement in exercises. You will be surprised at the kind of exercises you can do using this.
d.) The Pilates Spine Corrector: This equipment will let you perform several kinds of great exercises whose first requirement is having a healthy and correct spine. It helps in posture and prevents back and neck pain.
e.) The Pilates Ring: This Pilates equipment is used for doing exercises for the arms and the legs.
Pilates exercises were developed by Joseph Pilates in the 1920’s. Originally constructed for the rehabilitation of the prisoners of war, it is currently a hot form of exercise the world over. Pilates not only helps keep the body fit and active, it also helps in the loss of excess weight. Pilates exercises have gained wide popularity after many top Hollywood actors admitted their allegiance for it.
Pilates exercises are usually done on the floor or a mat. Though most are free-hand exercises, some of them cannot be done without the help of equipment, the framework of which had been done by Joseph Pilates himself. The “Pilates Reformer” is considered to the most well- known and popular Pilates equipment we know about. It can be used to perform a wide range of Pilates exercises.
All Pilates exercises have a Six- Principle plan. The six principles are namely, Centering, Control, Flow, Breath, Precision, and Concentration. A high quality Pilates workout regime will have all these 6 principles at work. The Pilates method of exercise purports the idea that in fitness and exercising, quality is a lot more important that quantity. That is perhaps the reason why this form of exercise does not have you do numerous repeats or “sets”. Instead, the focus is on doing exercises with a high degree of precision as that will lead to great results in as short a time as you can imagine. Make Pilates a part of your life and you will know the difference instantly.
Pilates is a wonderful form of exercise. It comes with a range of benefits, a few of which are discussed below:
1. The great thing about Pilates is that it is a whole-body exercise. It does not ignore or over- work any body part, as is the case with a lot of exercises. Instead, it concentrates on developing core strength and trains the whole body.
2. It does not matter whether you are just a beginner or a trained athlete; you can be sure that Pilates has something for you. It can be tailored well to suit your needs, be it weight loss or fitness.
3. The range of motion that Pilates exercises deal with increases the flexibility of your body. If you do Pilates regularly, you will be gifted with a body that bends and stretches very easily.
4. Pilates does not build you muscles. This is great news for women who hate bulk and who are scared of doing certain kinds of exercises for fear it will make Madonna look-alikes out of them! Lean is the word for Pilates.
5. Pilates develops core strength, that is, it concentrates on the abdomen, back and pelvic floors. Flat abs is a given for regulars!
6. A strong core will lead to a good posture. Though ignored a lot, a good posture is something that is extremely important for the overall fitness of the body.
7. Pilates aids in weight loss and helps in attaining a long and lean appearance that most people crave for.