The South Beach Diet
The South Beach Diet has become quite popular since 2003 when it was first published. It is a diet plan that one can keep to, as compared to crash diets. Here are a few points to note about the South Beach Diet.
* The diet has 3 phases. The first phase lasts 2 weeks and restricts the dieter from eating most carbohydrates, including most fruits, dairy products and sources of saturated fat. The second phase lasts as long as the dieter has lost all the weight he wants. The third phase is all about maintenance and has very few restrictions.
* The diet starts with quite a lot of restrictions in the first phase. Dieters are forbidden to eat fats and most types of carbohydrates. But in the next two phases, carbohydrates are progressively added as they start losing weight. Dieters are allowed a little amount of saturated fat in the last phase as well.
* This is a diet that encourages individual dieters to choose what they want to eat, especially in the last two phases. It does not have fixed meal plans that have to be kept to.
* It is actually quite easy to learn and get used to this diet. There are a list of foods to avoid and a list of foods to enjoy. When a dieter has choice, he is less likely to fall off the wagon and binge- eat.
* Overall, this diet is not over- restrictive and can be used successfully to lose excess weight.